Case Study 3 - Product Development System for outdoor power plant supplier
Client: Manufacturer of components for the power transmission and telecom industries
Challenge: Improve the product development & commercialization process; establish the needed engineering systems and boost the return on investment for new product introductions
Our Role: Develop and deploy a lean product development system; and foster a higher level of cross functional coordination
Implementation Strategy: 1. Identify lean product development tools and establish procedures.
2. Develop an Engineering Operating System to measure progress and identify improvement actions.
3. Develop a cross functional Product Development System
4. Apply the product development system to 5 priority product development projects
5. Develop and Deploy an Engineering Cost Reduction Program
Results achieved: 1. Shortened the product development cycle by 50%
2. Increased cross functional involvement in design process
3. Released 18 Design Guidelines